Sunday, August 16, 2009

THIS PLACE WAS A *PLACE*!

So, today was Sunday, and instead of going to Monterey today (more on that later), I decided it would be a “kicked back” day for me.

Monterey and The Great Steinbeck Pilgrimage has been postponed until next Friday (when I next have a car to drive) due to the fact that I realized that the Concours d’Elegance was at Pebble Beach this weekend, which meant the entire Monterey peninsula would be full of cars and *people*! Too much mish-mash for me and my purposes, so a postponement to my Steinbeck events.

Now, back to today and my Kicked Back Sunday.

First, I slept late. This is *very* important for beginning any “kicked back” day. You must first begin with some seeeeeriiiioooouusss kicking back of the sleeping late variety. So I did.

*check*

Then, I took my time getting presentable and ambled down to the lobby of the hotel (there must be no fast walking, or even regular walking on a “kicked back” day - there must only be ambling, or anything that is like ambling).

*check*

Then I ankled myself on over to the Starbuck’s where I got myself a nice little jolt of java, which I sipped while perusing the New York Times (especially including the magazine and the Book Review). Once sufficient perusing of The Great Newspaper had been accomplished, I was off to Walgreen’s for sundries. Then back to the hotel to stash said sundries.

After fortification with kafe and proper supplies, one must then embark on a Capitalist adventure on a “kicked back” day.

So, ambling (again) from the hotel I went down to Bloomingdales, and visited various other fine shopping establishments located within the San Francisco Centre. Yes, Virginia, I spent money there. Why on earth would one amble down to an upscale centre of Capitalism on a Kicked Back Sunday and *not* spend money?? Sheeesh!

*check*

Then, after money well spent, I walked (read ambled) over to Union Square and did some window shopping.

It was now time for some proper relaxing, and recovery from the Capitalist afternoon adventure.

I walked back to the fine hotel in which I am staying and parked myself in my very nice room with my shoes off and my feet propped up.

At this point, I really felt that the day required some mid-afternoon *room service*. I picked up the phone and ordered some fresh berries and raspberry sorbet, which I washed down with some cold ginger ale. Then sinking back into the armchair, with the feet propped up on the cushy ottoman, the golden San Franciscan sun streaming in through my hotel window, I read a book - for 3 hours. Yes, friends, this would be *bliss time* for this writer!!

*check*

Now, it was time to get ready for dinner. The restaurants at which I have eaten so far on this trip have been good, but I wouldn’t write home to my blogspace about them; *and then* there was tonight’s restaurant.

I had made this reservation based on scuttlebutt, the restaurant’s website and menu, and the fact that the place was in North Beach. My novel that I’m researching while I’m here has a relationship to North Beach, so I decided that I would eat at this place on my first Sunday night in the Bay Town.

This is not a fancy place - leave your “hoity” and your “toity” at the house when you go here. There won’t be any of that. What there will be is some damn good food, so get your bib on, Bubba!

The place is called Trattoria Contadina. This place is just a small Italian family restaurant on the corner of Mason and Union. Lovely, quaint part of town, and a homey little restaurant. I opened the door to go in, and I knew. Ah, the smell of garlic and olive oil! Just a tiny place, and it looked full, but they had a table for me. They had my reservation and my table was there and ready!

First they brought the bread and the olive oil. Then I ordered a glass of some marvelous Sangiovese (I don’t remember what vintner, but it was a Sangiovese) - OH!

Then the main dish - some rigatoni, sauteed with eggplant, big chunks of tomato, some onions and black olives, and the whole thing with a wonderful tomato sauce over it. Then the guy comes and grates some fresh parmagiano over the top. Mmmmmmwwwaaahhh! Beautiful!!

I couldn’t eat all of it. It was a huge portion of food; but, I made a respectable dent in it. Then I waved at the guys in the kitchen on my way out and congratulated them on a job well done.

This was a *place* - this place!!

My Grandpa (the Greek, who was a chef with a little restaurant like this one) - oh, Grandpa would have loved this place.

Early evening bliss, upon afternoon bliss - AHHHHH, the Kicked Back Sunday was looking like a runaway hit!!

Even now my friends, I am thinking there is only one way to end this Beautiful Kicked Back Sunday.

Yes, you are right - you know, don’t you?

Yes, I am calling room service. They are bringing me the double chocolate cake (with the raspberry sauce underneath it) and the decaf coffee.

Ohhhhh, yes my friends, it was a Beautiful Kicked Back Sunday - and this place?

Oh! What a *place* it is!!

Polla Filia,
J.F.

P.S. Tomorrow, while out and about, I will go back over to North Beach and I’ll send you a nice little snap of the exterior of Trattoria Contadina.

No comments:

Post a Comment