Tuesday, May 15, 2012

BIG WATER

I have been remiss on this blog these last few days. It's been busy. I had a lot of research to get done while I was here, and a lot to think about writer-wise.

So, first of all I've been all over town looking at this and that, taking photos and making notes. I got a lot accomplished, and I thoroughly broke in some new walking shoes (thank you, Nike)!

On Saturday, I went back out on a boat and took a little cruise to Angel Island. It was cold and crazy windy! Choppy waters and the boat was bouncing all over the place - I had a moment of almost panic. I don't know how, but somehow I pushed it down (methodical breathing helps). Finally we arrived in Ayala Cove on Angel Island, which is sheltered from much of said wind. We had a nice little tram tour of the island. It is really beautiful, and if you come to San Francisco I highly recommend you go to Angel Island with your family and a picnic basket. The kids can play and the spot is really beautiful. It is one huge California State Park, with picnic tables, trails, and a little café. It's nice.

Then we got back on the boat and made another trip to Alcatraz. I took a few more photos and then we headed back to San Francisco.

Now, here's the thing:  we were back out on that choppy water from Angel Island to Alcatraz and I shot some photos that it now scares me to look at. I was standing - STANDING, people - on the stern deck in that damn choppy water shooting the photos. Don't ask how I did that, but needless to say I have done well in telling my phobia where it can go!

The phobia is not gone, but I exerted a lot of energy last weekend in suppressing it. I'm proud of myself, but I am also tired and done with Big Water for quite a while now. Enough already.

Now, for some pics.

This is Ayala Cove on Angel Island. When the Spanish "discovered" San Francisco Bay (technically Native Americans discovered it, but the Spanish were the first outsiders to discover it), they made it through the strait (Golden Gate) and put down anchor in what is now Sausalito. The next morning they found the sheltered cove across the way and anchored there for over a month while they surveyed the entire bay. That cove is now called Ayala cove after the captain of the Spanish ship.

BTW, you can click on this photo and see all the photos bigger and clearer.



Next are some views from Angel Island, and this is not even the highest point on the island. You can imagine how spectacular the views from the top would be!

This is a view back toward the city, with Alcatraz in between.

The Golden Gate in fog.


The view of Sausalito.


This is Raccoon Strait between Angel Island and Belvedere/Tiburon.


These are called the Pride of Madeira and only bloom for a couple of weeks NOW, which means I would not have seen them otherwise. Really pretty!


The following is:  the view of San Fran from the Alcatraz dock, the view of the Golden Gate bridge from all that choppy water, and a photo I like to call "what in the hell was I thinking?" - because I have no idea how I stood on the stern deck and shot that bad boy. Clearly, I was so focused on the photography I forgot my senses. :) Seriously, I look at these photos of choppy water now, and I'm scared.




Well, here endeth the pictorial. Tomorrow I head back to Texas (thank you, God). It's always nice to get away, but going home is even nicer. ;)

Polla Filia,
J.F.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wow, wow. You are so amazing in overcoming your big water phobia. Such an inspiration! I have been following your trip on the blog and wish you safe travels back home to Texas.

    Ly N.

    ReplyDelete