Friday, May 11, 2012

TRIUMPH, PEACE AND BEAUTY


Triumph

Last night I faced a long-time fear, and something amazing happened - something I still don't understand. I succeeded!

I went on the night tour to Alcatraz, which involved me being on a ferry going from San Francisco to Alcatraz Island. To-recap from my prior post - I'm terrified of deep water. Well, I became so absorbed in the onboard narration of the history of the island, etc., AND the views of the city as we left the pier and the views of Alcatraz as we got closer, and taking pictures of all those views - well, I forgot about listening to the iPod and singing and I almost forgot all my fear!

I had one moment as we made our way around a particular buoy where I got a bit nervous and felt a small wave of panic rising, but I put it down and got back to picture taking, and I made it just fine! Then on the way back at the end of evening, I met some nice people from Texas and we got to talking and I was so comfortable and happy to be talking to Texans that I had no fear at all on the way back. Yay!

Now, the man who has been helping me with this phobia of mine told me that the more you face it and succeed, the more you overcome it. So, chalk up last night as a rip-roaring success. Now, mind you this doesn't wipe out my fear, but I took a big, BIG chunk out of it! :)

Here are some photos from the trip:


 
 


Peace and Beauty

Then this morning I did a drive around the East Bay, across the San Rafael bridge (past San Quentin *shudder*) and on to Muir Beach, Sausalito and Tiburon. Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!! Especially Muir Beach.

The photos below are not going to do it justice. There was the sound of the waves coming in, which was such a soothing sound, and the birds, and then that low, mournful fog horn I could hear in the distance. It was a beautiful morning, in a beautiful spot on the planet, gazing out on the Pacific ocean, surrounded by an incredible landscape. I wish I could bottle it all up and send it to you. I did not want to leave - for real.  **sigh**

This is not like a tourist beach, or a tanning beach, or a party beach. This is so much better than any of that, it's in a league of its own. This was a place that whispers in your ear and compels you to stay just a while longer.

The beauty that is Muir Beach:

 






Tonight I'm off to enjoy some Greek food (Opa!), and tomorrow I have another "face my fear" trip - a ferry ride to Angel Island. Longer trip and I'm planning on succeeding again! Woo-hoo!

Polla Filia,
J.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment