Tuesday, June 23, 2009

HOMAGE TO DADDY
















Yeah, I know, *Sunday* was Father’s Day, but I don’t give particular attention to Father’s Day on the *day* anymore. Not because of any disrespect, but because everyday is Father’s Day for me now.

My Dad died some years back. He got out of the shower one night, had a massive heart attack and that was it. As bad as it was (and for me it was a great darkness), I still say that’s the way to go - so fast you don’t know what hit you.

Everyday is Father’s Day for me now, because there isn’t a single day that goes by that I don’t think about my Dad. Not in a morose, mopey way, but in all the best ways - the ways of remembering what he has given me. It may be some fleeting thought, but it is there every, single day. I can’t even get behind the wheel of a car without thinking of him. I don’t think like I do, or do what I do in life without remembering so much of it is owed to him.

My Dad was a mechanic and a machinest. He did the machinest thing as his main livelihood (the man could fix or fabricate *anything*), and he did the auto-mechanicin’ at night and on the weekends. When I was a kid, he raced go-karts. Before my time, he raced other stuff. All of it was just local - in Texas; but, I grew up with cars on my mind, and racing as my favorite sport to watch.


When I got old enough to hold a wrench (or any other tool), I was out in the garage learning from Dad, and when I got old enough to know what I was doing (about 15), I was actually working on cars with my Dad. He didn’t work on new cars - he restored and worked on old American cars (you know, the kind before they put computers in them). I was right there with him, up to my elbows in grease. It was great! Yes, I’m a chick, and I love to go shopping at Neiman Marcus, and take a nice, long day at the spa; but, I know what a gap-setter looks like, and I know how to use it! ;)

While hanging out with my Dad, I was learning a lot more than just cool stuff about cars and racing. I was learning about work ethic, integrity, the importance of approaching a project with organization, focus and the right state of mind. My Dad was a high-school dropout who later got his GED, but the man was wicked smart. He was an autodidact. He read anything and everything, and absorbed it like a sponge. He had a red-neck Texas accent, but you’d be a fool to think he wasn’t smart. He made straight A’s in high school English before he dropped out. He could speak perfect English if he wanted to, and he could discuss physics with you if you were smart enough to keep up. It was from this Renaissance man that I learned to value the acquisition of knowledge, and to strive for constant improvement of myself.

He also had a great sense of humor, and a terrific laugh. He was, and still is, the best Dad a girl could ever have. He was Louie - Father, Teacher, Friend and Hero.

He is with me still - every day. So, on a day that is *not* Father’s Day, I’m writing about him. I wish you could have known my Dad, because you would have been like every friend I ever had who knew him. You would have said “Your Dad is soooo COOL!” Yes, he was. Totally.

He was Louie, and I am lucky enough to be Louie’s Kid.

Every race I watch on TV, or go to live, I know he’s right there sitting next to me enjoying every second. I know he’s in my corner no matter what I’m doing. He’s ready to whisper advice in my ear and remind me about the right way to do things - anything. He stands by my side to be my champion when I’m brought low. His spirit will always be near me, because he’s there, and because he left so much a part of himself in *my* spirit.

He’s out there driving down Heaven’s roads, winding through Elysian fields, golden sun shining down, wind across his face, laughter in his wake.

Drive on, Daddy, drive on!

Polla Filia,
J.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment