Saturday, June 20, 2009

JEFFFFFF BECKKKKKKK!!

I love Jeff Beck - love as in fanship devotion. :) My dream is that someday I will hear him play live, and get to meet him for an autograph. **sigh**

I like all kinds of music, as long as it is *music* - that is, it’s high quality, it exhibits true musicianship and talent, and it gives me a complex palette in the listening experience. Rock-n-roll is, as a general rule, music I like (although there is some of it that just isn’t - and I mean - Is. Not.). Great rock-n-roll is as good as it gets. Notice I said “great”. I don’t throw that word around lightly when I’m talking about any kind of music, but when we talk about Jeff Beck, we ARE talking about Great Rock.

Jeff Beck is one of those musicians who never ceases to take me way beyond that whole entertainment thing. Jeff Beck is inspirational to listen to. I can listen to five minutes of Jeff Beck and start feeling like I’ve had a few glasses of wine already - a heady combination of lightly buzzed mellow mood, mixed with some euphoria, and that “I can conquer the world” vibe, all rolled into one. And that’s *just* listening to his music, *without* the wine. :)

I am not old enough to remember him in his early days. I won’t even try to tell you anything about the Yardbirds, ‘cause I don’t know much about that. I have never heard recordings of the Yardbirds (don’t shoot me, music afficianados, I’ve just not had that experience *yet*).

In fact, I had not heard of Mr. Beck until in my twenties, when as a huge music fan I began to learn of great rock-n-rollers like him, and Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and the like. They were all slightly before my era of music. Anyway, I didn’t ever hear Jeff Beck play (at least not to my memory) until about three years ago. I was blown away. This was no “really good guitarist” - this was a truly great guitarist. This IS a Truly Great Guitarist. Jeff Beck has one of the most unique and amazing sounds I have ever heard on the guitar.

Performing with him lately have been the amazing Mr. Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, the wonderful Mr. Jason Rebello on keyboards, and the most astonishing Ms. Tal Wilkenfeld on bass (chick CAN play bass!). See the sidebar on the right and scroll down to my Fave Links, people - you'll find websites for all of them.

So, Jeff Beck has a new CD out now (and a DVD, too). All of the above-mentioned performers are with him there. It is a LIVE recording. He also has some tracks with vocalists Ms. Imogen Heap and Ms. Joss Stone, AND Mr.Eric Clapton (his own self) comes in for two pieces, and does vocals along with his most legendary guitar.

The CD is called Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott’s, and you can get it here: Jeff Beck - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's The CD

Or, if you really want the whole experience, almost like you were there AT Ronnie Scott’s, then get the DVD, which you can get here: Jeff Beck - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's The DVD

Or, for the Whole Smash, do what I did, buy the CD *and* the DVD!!

Put that DVD on, crank it up with the surround sound system, pour that glass of wine (or your personal Listening-To-Music-Beverage-Of-Choice) and you are THERE!

BTW, if you don’t know what Ronnie Scott’s is, you can go here and see: Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club - London

People, this is not your average rock-n-roll. This is not even “good” rock-n-roll. This is Great Rock-n-Roll - as Good As It EVER Gets!! This is JEFFFFFFFFFF BECCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!


Polla Filia,
J.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment