Tuesday, June 2, 2009

MUDSLIDES, WINE AND THE THREE-DAY RACE WEEKEND, or VARIETY REALLY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE

Today at the “day job” (which unfortunately is more like a “day career” in terms of seriousness - I work in the legal department of a Fortune 50 company) - today is a day I would liken to a mudslide downhill - a very, rocky, bumpy hill with a big gully at the bottom. I had high hopes today would be better than some of them have been lately, but hey, it just didn’t work out quite the way I had envisioned in my mind. Gotta work on that whole “envisioning” thing.

Add to that the fact that I’ve made no real progress tonight on my next novel, and the day was looking like a real washout. **grrrrrrrrrrrr** In the world of a struggling writer, some days are like this. **grrrrrrrrrr again**

Make no mistake, I came home from said sucky work day and had me a sit-down cry. So, I channel surfed until I found Matt Damon kicking some serious butt in Bourne Supremacy and I stopped my pity party long enough to enjoy that view (the view would be Mr. Damon, people). Add a little bike ride in there for my stress-relief, and my anticipation of the upcoming full-body workout at the gym tomorrow, and I was beginning to feel slightly more relaxed and hopeful.

In the end, though, the crummy day was no match for my wine of choice tonight, which is the 2007 Mönchhoff Estate Riesling - served in a proper wine glass (of course) - because we do things right around here at my establishment. Serving perfectly good wine in a cheap glass should be a crime. We should put that in the Texas Penal Code somewhere. ;)

Now that the wine bottle is open, the golden nectar is poured into the appropriate glass, and I’ve had a few sips, I am further mellowed. Edge on the day? What edge? Day? There was a day? Tomorrow? Who cares about tomorrow?

We Greeks have two kinds of time: chronos time, which is time you measure on your watch or calendar; and kairos time, which is the eternal time, the time of the now.

I would be seriously into my kairos time now, baby! Me and my glass of wine are only in the now!

Oh, wait a minute, we can slip into the chronos time for a moment, but only to happily contemplate my upcoming three-day weekend, which involves me being on a plane (first class, thank you), staying at a very fine resort hotel, doing some upscale shopping and visiting some long-time law firm friends of mine Friday night for cocktails, and then I will spend my Saturday night watching IndyCars duke it out at the Texas Motor Speedway. Those things may seem as if they don’t all go together, but hey, I would be a Renaissance chick (or that's my story anyway). I am as at home in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, or the city’s Metropolitan Opera House, as I am at the Mean Eyed Cat in Austin shooting me some pool, and drinking me some brew.

A writer and artist needs a varied palette from which to work. And a girl should be versatile.

Grandpa taught me about some of the finer things in life (like opera), and then Daddy taught me how to play pool, and change a spark plug. :)

There’s something to be said for both worlds. There’s a lot of joy living in both of them all at the same time. This weekend I get to do just that - live in both all at the same time, and experience some joy moments.

I’ll check back in on Monday with a wine update and some racing results. Meanwhile, I’m off to the garden tub for a good soak. ‘Night, y’all!

Polla Filia,
J.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment